Grant Development Services
Research proposal writing, editing and developing
The Office of the Vice Dean, Research and Health Science Education provides a grant editing service to UofT medical science investigators. The Office prioritizes CIHR, CFI, and CRC grants for editorial review, but will review all grant proposals to any funding agency or foundation on an ad hoc basis. The service is complementary to Temerty Faculty of Medicine faculty who are on-campus (i.e., whose grant funding flows through the university). Hospital-based off-campus investigators are charged a fee of $60.00/page +HST if applicable. The off-campus request form can be found here.
The Temerty Faculty of Medicine strongly encourages investigators to take advantage of this service.
Please contact our editors: email@example.com
Alternately, the contact information for our editorial staff is also included below:
Strategic Research Development Officer
Alex De Serrano
Research Funding, Awards and Honours Officer
What Do We Do?
- Provide writing and editing support for all grant proposals to any funding agency, from single-investigator to major multi-researcher pan-institutional applications
- Ensure applications clearly demonstrate the IMPACT of the research
- Reorganize for most effective content and structure
- Clarify meaning, polish language, improve readability
- Correct grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation
- Ensure proposals adhere to agency formatting guidelines
What Are Our Goals?
- Improve grant success and INCREASE FUNDING for researchers. Grants we edit are more apt to be funded than those not edited (41% success rate on edited grants vs. 27% overall Faculty of Medicine success rate for the last CIHR OOGP)
- Enable researchers to apply for more funding with better prepared materials
How Long Does Editing Take?
- Our typical turn around time is approximately one week. We encourage interested faculty to reach out to our editorial team as soon as possible to plan the time of their review.
What Don't We Do?
- Review manuscripts
- Verify budgets
- Edit references
- Edit and format CVs
Please contact us as soon as possible if you would like to take advantage of the grant development service.
Grant Writing Course Component – If you are teaching a class that includes a mock grant writing assignment for your students, the grant development team is available to present guest lectures to your students on the basics of grant writing and general good writing practices in the medical sciences.