researcher looks at a sample

University of Toronto Fellowships


Application Required: No

Value: Varies

Level of Study: Doctoral, master's

Required Legal Status: Domestic, international

Consult your graduate unit for additional policies and procedures. Review the award details for eligibility requirements and terms and conditions.


The University of Toronto Fellowships (UTF) provide financial support for graduate students with excellent academic standing. UTF's come out of a central fund, from which each graduate unit is provided an allocation. The Temerty Faculty of Medicine allocates funds to its departments and the School of Graduate Studies allocates funds to the remaining institutes, centres and faculties. Please check with your graduate unit for additional policies and procedures with respect to UTF's.

Additional Details

Value and Duration

The minimum award is usually $1,000. There is no maximum value; however, if you hold a major award such as the CIHR CGS M, Vanier or OGS, a maximum top-up amount may limit the amount of University of Toronto Fellowship money that you're eligible to receive. Fellowships are awarded for one academic year at a time. Payments  may begin as early as May 1 and are paid over three terms (May, September and January).


  • There is no restriction based on citizenship or status in Canada however, special and part-time students are not eligible to hold a UTF.
  • Students registered in a master's program beyond the second year are not eligible to hold a UTF. Students admitted to the PhD program on the basis of a bachelor's degree are not eligible to hold the fellowship beyond year six. Students admitted to the PhD program on the basis of a master's degree are not eligible to hold a UTF beyond year five. Students may hold a UTF for a maximum of six years.
  • New students must have at least a B+ average grade from a three-or four-year bachelor's degree program of the University of Toronto, or its equivalent from an approved university. Current graduate students must maintain a minimum B+ standing, or satisfactory progress towards the degree for which they are registered as determined by the graduate unit.
  • Where programs exist that can be followed on a part-time or full-time basis, graduate students with a disability (that prevents them from enrolling on a full-time basis) may be considered for a University of Toronto Fellowship on the basis of academic merit. For this purpose, disability is defined under the Human Rights Code, Chapter 53, Section 9 (1)(b). To be eligible, students must provide the department with a letter from the Coordinator of Disability Services confirming that part-time study is de facto full-time study for the student.

How to Apply

Applications are not required for a UTF; students are automatically considered provided they apply for admission to the graduate unit before its deadline. The graduate unit is responsible for the selection and approval of the UTF recipients. The graduate unit is also responsible for spending within their UTF allocation.

Terms and Conditions

  • Students must be registered as a full-time degree candidate for a minimum of fourteen weeks in any term during which they hold an award.
  • Students who fail to maintain at least a B+ average or satisfactory progress towards the degree in which they are registered (departments may also have additional stipulations) will forfeit subsequent instalments of the award.
  • Repayment of an award is required if a student is in full-time attendance fewer than 14 weeks in any term, transfers to another graduate unit, changes to part-time status or withdraws from the program.
  • Students dually registered in the final year of master's program and first year of a Ph.D. must complete the master's program by the required deadline to retain their doctoral fellowship.
  • UTF's will normally be fully or partially cancelled for recipients who subsequently receive a major external award such as NSERC, CIHR, etc.
  • If an absence exceeds four weeks, in any term, for full-time off-campus research, students must apply for off-campus approval through their department.
  • Changes in the student's status as determined by the graduate unit should be reported to the Office of the Vice Dean, Research and Health Science Education (RHSE).

Related Resources and Links

Award Explorer