SGS Inclusive Excellence Admissions Scholarships for Black and Indigenous Master’s Students
Application Deadline: June 28, 2024 (OGS form + RHSE form)
Level of Study: Master's
Required Legal Status: Domestic, international
Results Available: August
Review the award details for specific eligibility requirements and terms and conditions.
We are pleased to announce a new scholarship opportunity for incoming first year Master's students at the University of Toronto. The School of Graduate Studies (SGS) has established the Inclusive Excellence Admissions Scholarships for Black and Indigenous Master's Students. This award aims to diversify academia by supporting the recruitment of first-year master’s students who are thinking of pursuing PhD studies in the future.
This scholarship was established in response to recommendations emerging from the Weecheehetowin Final Report of the Steering Committee for the University of Toronto Response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, The Anti-Black Racism Task Force Final Report, and the Scarborough Charter. Applications will be assessed by an adjudication committee that represents the diversity in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine.
Value and Duration
- $15,000 for one year (i.e., $5,000 per registered session)
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, all the of the following criteria must be met:
- You have applied to a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine. This includes any thesis-based, course-based and professional master’s programs (i.e., MSc, MHSc, MScOT, MScPT, MScBMC).
- Your master's program application, at the time of applying to this scholarship, falls under one of the following categories:
- The departmental decision on your application is pending
- You have been offered admission to a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto
- You have accepted admission into a master’s program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto
- Self-identify as a Black and/or Indigenous to Turtle Island
- You demonstrate a distinguished record of professional, volunteer, and/or community experience or leadership.
- You have submitted an Ontario Graduate Scholarship program application to the nominating unit (nominees do not need to be OGS eligible)
- You have not been awarded other major funding in excess of $10,000 (excluding governmental loans/grants) at the time of the offer.
- You intend to start a master's program in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine in Fall 2023.
How to Apply
Interested students should apply directly to the Office of the Vice Dean, Research and Health Sciences Education (RHSE) by completing the following steps by June 28, 2024 at 11:59 pm:
Visit the Scholarship Form to fill out an application by June 28, 2024 at 11:59 pm
Complete an Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) application by June 28, 2024 at 11:59 pm
Please note the following:
You must elaborate on why you are interested in pursuing doctoral studies (PhD) after obtaining your master’s degree.
RHSE has access to all OGS applications submitted by our Temerty Medicine graduate students.
Please ignore the June application deadline on the SGS OGS application website.
You must self-identify as Black or Indigenous to Turtle Island using the application form.
You do not need to secure a thesis supervisor at the time you apply to this scholarship.
Terms and Conditions
- Successful candidates will be informed in August and given 10 business days to accept the offer.
- The first instalment will be made in September via ACORN.